Sports Premium Funding
PE and Sport play a very important part in the life of our school. We believe that exercise and sport contribute to the holistic development of young people and, through participation in sport and physical education, young people learn more about key values such as teamwork, fair play and respect for themselves and others.
There is significant evidence to show the positive effects of sport and exercise on children’s physical health, growth and development. Furthermore, sport also provides a healthy environment within which young people can learn how to deal with competition and how to cope with both winning and losing.
Since 2013, the Government has provided 'Sport Premium' funding, specifically aimed at improving the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision in all schools.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE in order to ensure sustainability
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits
For further details on the PE and sport premium for primary schools, please visit the Government website:
We are using the Sport Premium to improve the quality of PE and Sport provision in the following ways:
- We use the funding to support regular sport tournaments, festivals and competitions for pupils of all ages. This year we have set up our own cluster, with Farringdon Sport Academy consisting of 4 local primary schools. We ensure all year groups take part in 2 competitions or festivals each term. Our link with Farringdon Academy also supports our lunchtime supervisors with their professional development. They have annual training to support them in how to deliver games on a lunchtime. Click here to visit our Festival page.
- We also invest in lunchtime coaches. For the past 4 years the children have benefited from games coaches on a lunchtime. Currently we have a yoga coach coming in to work with the children. They are really enjoying the sessions and it is having a positive impact on their afternoon learning. Click here to visit our club page.
- We invest in high-quality visiting sports coaches to run clubs, competitions, and to increase pupils’ participation in in-school and inter-school games competitions. We provide after-school sport clubs, perhaps in sports that the children would not usually have access to. Click here to visit our club page.
- Our dance and gymnastics teacher is fantastic! She has led our children in preparing for a series of magnificent performances (we're now on number 6!) in the annual Sunderland Schools Dance Festival, held at the Empire Theatre. Last year we won the school games gymnastics competition too!
- In 2017 we had the school grounds mapped, so we could take part in more outside sporting activities. We have an orienteering club and every year during Outdoor week all classes take part in Orienteering. This year out theme was the tall ships!
- We work with Keep Active, a local company providing high-quality coaching in a range of sports.
- We already have several Sports Clubs, led on a voluntary basis by our own staff:
- Football Club with Mr Taylor and Mr Burnikell. We have already won our first match of the season. Sunderland football club is at the heart of our school!
- Our children swim every week at Raich Carter and Southmoor Academy. We greatly value this, because not only does it provide us with access to high-quality swimming facilities and coaching, it also boosts the link between Southmoor and its feeder primaries, giving the children an opportunity to visit and become familiar and comfortable with the idea of eventually joining Southmoor in Year 7.
- We love to Hit the Surf! This is an absolutely fantastic project, run by the RNLI. Our year 5 children get the chance to learn about water safety, and they also learn how to surf the waves at Seaburn beach! Click here to see us Hit the Surf!
Plans for the Future
- Further developing our House system to develop exciting inter-house sports competitions for pupils of all ages, held termly.
Click here for 2019 - 2020 School Sports Premium Overview
Click here for 2018 -2019 School Sports Premium Overview
Click here for 2016 -2017 School Sports Premium Overview
Click here for 2014-2015 Sports Premium Funding Portfolio