Every year, Year 6 pupils are given the opportunity to complete level 1 and level 2 Bike ability. training The children really enjoy taking part in this event, as well as learning how to keep safe whilst riding their bicycles.
Once the children have completed Level 1 pupils receive a red badge, and they will be able to
- Fit their helmet correctly.
- Check their bike is ready to ride.
- Get on and off their bike safely.
- Ride a bike and make it go where they want it to.
- Avoid objects through good bike control.
- Use gears effectively.
- Control the bike with one hand.
- Observe all around them whilst cycling.
- Stop safely and quickly if they need to
Level 2 - pupils recieve an orange badge and learn how to cycle confidently on-road, amongst real traffic. pupils learn how to:
- Start and finish an on-road journey.
- Pass parked cars or slower moving vehicles and side roads.
- Make a u-turn.
- Identify and react to potential hazards.
- Communicate your intentions with other road users and pedestrians as appropriate.
- Use road positioning effectively.
- Use junctions, including turning left and right in and out of minor roads.
- Use the Highway Code and make decisions on safe riding strategy